The WPL (Comprehensive) comprises of three modules – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The four learning areas for the WPL (Comprehensive) modules are – Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing.
The Beginner’s module is targeted in helping adults acquire and apply basic language skills in their daily lives, both at home and at work. During the course, they will learn to apply simple oral and written communication using basic phrases and sentences. This course will specifically develop critical literacy skills required at the modern workplace to facilitate future career and training opportunities.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- read and write letters, numbers, phrases and short sentences;
- understand and apply basic vocabulary and simple phrases for different contexts (eg. Home and Workplace).
- write basic personal information on forms and speak about one’s skills and experience;
- handle routine, entry-level jobs that involve basic oral and written communication in English.
Module 1: Getting Started (Greetings and Introductions)
Module 2: Lifestyle
Module 3: Communication
Module 4: Home and Workplaces
Module 5: General Knowledge
Module 6: Works and Jobs
Module 7: Personal and Professional Relationships
- Role play;
- Pair work, small group and large group discussions;
- Activity-based exercises;
- Digitally facilitated learning;
- Language practice and assessments
Mode of Assessment
All trainees for Workplace Literacy (WPL) are required to sit for a Pre WPL Assessment to evaluate their language proficiency in order to be placed into the right training level.
After the completion of the training, all trainees are required to sit for a Post WPL Assessment to assess their improvements.
The WPL assessments are computer-based.
Modalities to be taken for assessment
Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing
There is also a compulsory Core Grammar and Vocabulary component for the literacy assessment. Trainees will take the Core Grammar and Vocabulary component once per test package, regardless of the number of literacy skills in the package.
Course Duration: 90 Hours
E-Learning: 10 Hours
The Candidate Report issued by British Council (Singapore)