The WPL (Comprehensive) is comprised of three modules – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The
four learning areas for the WPL (Comprehensive) modules are – Speaking, Listening, Reading, and
The Intermediate module is targeted to help adults acquire and apply intermediate language skills in their daily lives, both at home and at work. During the course, they will learn to apply intermediate oral and writing skills, using a wide range of vocabulary, idiomatic phrases and complex sentence structures.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- start, maintain and close face-to-face conversations in everyday life and the workplace;
- understand the main points in reports and newspaper and magazine articles about current and
- understand the main points of discussion on familiar topics in everyday situations and in the
- write clear, detailed descriptions on a variety of subjects;
- write formal and informal e-mails.
Module 1: Getting Started
Module 2: Lifestyle
Module 3: Communication
Module 4: Workplaces
Module 5: General Knowledge
Module 6: Work and Jobs
Module 7: Relationships
- Role play;
- Pair work, small group and large group discussions;
- Activity-based exercises;
- Digitally facilitated learning;
- Language practice and assessments
Mode of Assessment
All trainees for Workplace Literacy (WPL) are required to sit for a Pre WPL Assessment to evaluate their language proficiency in order to be placed into the right training level.
After the completion of the training, all trainees are required to sit for a Post WPL Assessment to assess their improvements.
The WPL assessments are computer-based.
Modalities to be taken for assessment
Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing
There is also a compulsory Core Grammar and Vocabulary component for the literacy assessment. Trainees will take the Core Grammar and Vocabulary component once per test package, regardless of the number of literacy skills in the package.
Course Duration: 90 Hours
E-Learning: 10 Hours
The Candidate Report issued by British Council (Singapore)